I guess I should be honest, but I've never understood why some parents take control of their children's lives and career choices. I mean, isn't it up to somebody, having a mind of their own, to be able to make choices that influence their life as a whole. Personally, it just doesn't strike me as right.
Now, me. I am lucky to have a mother who fully supports my choices (as far as my career path goes anyways) and is openly excited to see me achieve, and it makes me literally feel bad for others who don't have such a liberty; I know I'd feel cheated. Given a life of my own by my mother, and then I discover it was never really mine as soon as she starts taking control of my future and moulding it the way she wants it to be, regardless of what I enjoy, regardless of what I dislike and regardless of anything I ever say. It must feel terrible. Profession's a funny thing, and has a funny way of sneaking up on you, just when you thought you had your mind set on a particular goal. There's always something else, always the what if? of another possibility. And that is just one of the many things I am going to discuss in this blog entry.
Profession. Career. Lifestyle. They all mean the same thing, really, as they all have the prime factor in common: they influence your future and how you choose to live your life. For example, if somebody chooses not to have a profession of any kind, it shows in the way they act. They are often lazy, often dim-witted and often unmotivated and simply waiting to die. Which is all well and good, but wouldn't it be better to use your time on Earth for something good? The way I see it, you will always face situation in which you find yourself not wanting to do something, but you have to do it anyway. And so why not with a positive attitude, rather than a grumpy or negative one? You'll find that obligation gets a lot easier as you tackle it head-on with a smile, because smiling helps you forget why you even hated the idea of doing what you didn't want to do in the first place.
But what about if you have many ideas for careers and future goals? The answer, I've discovered over the course of three depressing weeks (more about that later), is simple: you have one life, and do doing all of those things is definitely an option. The only option. Because once you're done here, then what? Nothing, that's what. So if you want to be a singer, and an archaeologist then maybe a journalist... you go for it! Get those under your belt; live for what life is and do as many things as possible.
I recently hit a stump in my life in which had me down for ages, which is part of the reason I didn't update this blog for a while on end; I also hasn't written much at all, and my studies had reached a stand-still. Because I was worrying about my future. Yes, I know, blah blah blah, "you're only fifteen, you have plenty of time to think!", but it honestly felt like my life was ticking away in front of me, and that sent me into a panic. It wasn't even a fear of doing nothing that got me; it was the feeling of achieving nothing in my entire life, and it was incredibly big deal at that moment in time. Looking back now, I realise that I have plenty of time to make my decisions. I don't need to fret, and above all, I need to focus on getting the qualifications and grades that I need in order to be anything I want to be.
I sincerely hope you think your choices through too. I would be very pleased to see you - yes, YOU, reading this, right here, right now - as happy as possible. Because despite what people think, happiness is not gained through money and items and etcetera, etcetera, but out of love and cherishing what you already have. You learn to find value in the small things, and they end up being the very things that make you smile every day and want to carry on. And, if you're already in work, ask yourself, are you happy? Are you happy with what you're achieving? If the answer is "no" to either of these questions, then change it. Don't sit there and complain about your "crappy job", go out and change it, and make something out of that change: a better person. We are all in control of how happy we are, and how much of a good time we have, and only you can monitor that, even when things get harsh.
Value life, treasure the small things, because they will be the things to pick you up. Always.
Best of luck to you, fellow reader.
~Jess~
No comments:
Post a Comment