Saturday, 20 October 2012

I Guess I Should Be Honest - Learning To Learn~

I guess I should be honest, but I never really paid much heed when my primary school told me: "Jess, it's important to know how to learn." - I mean, isn't learning something you do intuitively? I discovered over the course of this past week that this is not so, and that it takes as much recognition from yourself as it does from others in order for you to pick up a new skill correctly. Take talking to new people as an example, if you will. And if you won't, I suggest you just stop reading.

You don't just wake up one morning and think: "Oh, I might speak to somebody new today." or: "I think I may try and meet somebody." - it is instinct when you do bump into somebody. You don't plan who you come across in this life; you just accept it and make the best of the prematurely awkward situation, so that it's... not-so-awkward any more. Seriously, if you don't learn to deal with new people, you're going to be very stuck in later life.

Now, for me, talking to new people is extremely difficult. Why? Because, as far as I'm concerned, people are amongst the most evil things I've ever encountered - and I've come across a lot within the depths of my imagination (figments of thought count - any evil thought does not lose the evil aspect of it, merely because it doesn't exist, or hasn't happened specifically within your field of knowledge). They cause one another grief, they are, unlike animals, given the gift of speech (though many deserve to have that taken away from them), which can sting like a whip to the face if used indecently, or directed solely at another person with the intention of hurting them. They are also the only species I'm aware of that can knowingly kill another on of their kind and feel satisfaction from it - a lion kills to eat, a shark kills to eat, a fox kills to eat, a human kills an animal to eat... but what about another human? Then what is gained? It can be none other than either vengeance, or satisfaction.

Thus making us predominately the sickest creature there is. We develop the most, we create the most, we are the strongest and have the give of intellect... but we are also the most destructive, the most careless, the most selfish, and the most greedy. What's more is that some gain pride from being the bad, merely because they are outcast from the rest; because they are bound to a bad reputation, and because they cannot salvage anything else, other than the bad. It's quite sad really. Tragic.

But back on the topic, of it being difficult... I guess I should be honest about something else, and that is: I hate it when people say "It's difficult" as if it's an excuse to not do something, or skip out on the hard things in life. It may be testing, it may be out of your usual comforts, but if it's one thing I've learnt from this week (I went to a course called Outward Bounds, which stretched my comforts to it's limits and beyond) it's that just because something is difficult, it does not make it impossible. There are too many people in this world who say "I can't do it.".

Can't, or won't?

I believe that if people started saying "I'll try it..." as opposed to "I'm not doing that - it's far too difficult!", then the world would be a more productive place, and I'd definitely take more pride in it. In fact, no, I'd take more pride in the people. The world is beautiful, regardless. It is people that ruin it - it is people in which litter, and destroy countryside and natural habitats. Humans who build huge scary-looking contraptions in which release so many toxic fumes it's difficult to breathe nearby. Humans who cannot be bothered to take care of what has been given to them, thinking that something more will just appear out of thin air and be there to use forever.

Listen, the world is the world. It is not a magic hat. It does not sprout resources left and right for you to use as you see fit. This isn't aimed at everybody, but the people who are reading this (if it's anybody at all) know who you are. I won't point fingers, won't call you out, or state names... because the shame you should feel is already miles more than what a stubby finger, or your name in a disapproving tone, could ever make you feel. There is time to fix it, but not much.

It will be difficult, with all the damage done... but not impossible. That's what it's all about right? Making a change before it's too late to say you'll try to make a change - because you already said no and turned a blind eye to it. But it's not impossible. It's not. It can't be.

The thing I learnt about learning? It's what you make of your pre-conceptions. Somebody can tell you something, and you can listen, but it's up to you to discover what you actually know or and what you don't- up to you to search the rest and make sure that what you've been told is a reliable source. You yourself, should be able to make a specified judgement of your own, based on what you think is right. That is learning. That is life, whether you like it or not.

Difficult is difficult, but saying no is making it impossible - because you are not willing to even summon up enough effort to even attempt what's been asked of you. It is not about courage - I was scared out of my mind when I was made to climb a twenty five foot rock wall. Did I do it?

Yes, I did.
Twice.

Courage is courage, bravery is bravery, fear is fear and anxious is anxious.

But saying: "I'll give it a go." is definitely all of those things and more.

No comments:

Post a Comment